Wednesday, December 9, 2009

which will help them formulate a teaching philosophy that describes their beliefs about teaching and learning. This paper should be 3 pages double spaced (min.) and discuss why they would like to teach, teaching strategies they think would be effective, evaluation techniques, how to deal with behavior issues, etc. This paper needs to be submitted to moodle prior to exit interview.

I'm going to blog about a few of these different things: this blog Why i want to teach.

growing up I usually had at least a teacher a year that I felt made an impact on my life. In some cases it was a mutual feeling where I feel we both respected each other and became better people because of it. 3 of these teachers who I felt had the greatest impact on me and my now chosen profession were my baseball coach, drafting teacher, and media arts teacher. My coach taught me discipline and hard work and these are things I've tried to maintain throughout my life. He led by example and the day he left the coaching and went to pursue a different career was a hard day for me. A man I really respected and worked with everyday wouldn't be around anymore.

The second would be my drafting teacher. A man who couldn't be more of my opposite. He was old, had been at the school so long he taught my uncle and the parents of most of my classmates. He used to make us write sentences for showing up late or doing something wrong in class and that sentence was always the same," hard work and dedication are important in life and drafting." I find it interesting now that he put life before drafting. He was trying to prepare us for the real world and trying to get the message across to us that we needed to focus and do what was right if we wanted to get ahead. When I go home I always make it a priority to go an see him and let him know that I'm doing well.

My media arts teacher was a good guy. I didn't have a super close relationship with him, but what I learned from that class was that I liked design, working with my hands, and being creative to make something look good. I didn't learn all I could have from that class but what I did take from it is one of the reasons I've chose TEE.

I want to teach because I truly believe there is no higher calling. Anyone can succeed in this world if they're willing to work hard and endure. I don't know if I have learned that in any better place than a classroom or out on a field. I know I drew a lot from my teachers and I think some of them were positively affected by me. If I can help a student prepare for a successful life and in turn benefit from their examples and grow myself I can see no greater reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment